Its been a really stressful day for me today, work-wise. I raced home to hunt for booze (my first go-to) to forget about life for awhile. I found 6 Pure Blondes in the fridge, half a bottle of vodka in the freezer, half a bottle of Kahlua on the shelf and half a goon bag that has been out in the sun since New Years Eve. Being ever-thrifty, I quickly chucked the goon bag in the freezer and set to work purchasing cigarettes and whatnot.
Fast-forward to now, and I can be found in a leather armchair with a tall glass of succulently chilled goon, trying to de-stress. Which brings me to todays post – if I just forget about work and concentrate on all the things that I yell “Cheers bro!” at, then I think that the happiness of the bigger picture that is my existence will put me right. So in no particular order, here is what I’m grateful as fuck for in my life:
1. Without a doubt, I am the most grateful for my family. My parents gave my brother and I a wonderful childhood, allowing us any opportunity to develop that we liked. They encouraged us to pursue extra-curricular activities even though it would have cost a bomb and my parents incomes were modest at the time. They also raised us to take pride in our manners, our friends and our work. Because of this, my brother and I have great work ethic and always get invited back to dinner a second time. My brother has always been a more enigmatic character in my life, and we used to lock horns on almost anything it seemed, but over the past year he has been one of the most awesome lights in my life, even though we don’t see other all that regularly. We lost our Dad just over a year ago, and even though he isn’t with us physically, he is definitely with us in the way that we treat people, because he passed along to us his sweet happy nature and love of the world. My mum is the sweetest little thing and she gave me a car this year, just because she didn’t need her old one. I really needed a car and she was adamant that I have her old one, even though she could have sold it. On New Years she called me to tell me how proud she is of me, which was the best thing I heard all year. So cheers bro for my family.
2. I’m hella grateful for my friends – it goes without saying that all of my friends are the most awesome people. I’m so grateful to have them, even though at times I can be a bit of a hermit. They say that you can count your true friends on one hand, but I don’t think this is always the case. I think they should extend it to 2 hands. Some of my NZ friends are still part of my everyday life and the distance doesn’t even really make a dent in the friendship, although its been awhile since we nursed a shandy together in a country pub. My friends are awesome and intelligent and hilarious and kind. Sometimes I consider pinching myself because its like a dream to be in such good company.
3. I’m totally thankful for being a NZer – this I am extremely grateful for. To be raised in a country that is so green from the grass in your yard, to the policy on nukes, is such a stroke of luck. Having an education that values the Maori heritage of New Zealand is something that is incredibly rare, there are so many countries (sorry Australia but you are an example) who just haven’t hit that point of cultural pride and recognition. Maori language and NZ history was part of my school curriculum from age 5, and because of this knowledge of our history I feel so much richer. Also to have a top university in my hometown that I could go to was awesome. Not like in some countries where there is only 1 university with highly competitive entry.
4. I thank Raptor Jesus for my mental and physical health – ok so yeah you can have a laugh about the latter because I’m pretty fat. However I rarely get sick, I can work out and I have healthy skin and teeth. To be fair, for my chubbiness I should have a myriad of health problems, but luckily I don’t (and I don’t plan on staying fat so bullet dodged there!). Mentally I am pretty awesome – I don’t mean that in a conceited way either. Most people take this for granted but I sure as shit don’t. I have never felt more loved, motivated and happy to be in this world than I do now, and I feel like I can handle anything that gets thrown into my life.
5. I’m uber-grateful for my skillset (everyone has their own unique skillset, so this isn’t a bragfest; its me being grateful that I have outlets and things that make me feel good about myself). For ages I didn’t believe I even had any skills, but I definitely do. I finally learned that just because there are people out there better than me at my skills, it doesn’t mean that I am totally shit. Competition isn’t the point here – the point is, I have skills that make me feel good about myself as a person. My brain is my highest skill – it controls the way I write, the way I draw, they way I make music, etc. This in turn, seems to make people want to be my friend – (never underestimate passion, its such a people magnet) So Cheers bro, for my brain and the connections between my brain and hands.
6. Thank little baby Jebus for music and art. Seriously. Where the fuck would I be without these?
Do you know what? I actually feel tonnes better now. Like, 200% better. And I am grateful for that 😀
Love, Chelle xoxoxooxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxoxo